The Computer To Reinforce Learning At Home
Some children have, for different reasons – learning disabilities, neurological disorders, lack of motivation, learning style – more difficulties than others in assimilating certain academic notions. A valuable tool exists for them and for you to overcome these difficulties: the computer
In order to make learning more interesting, there are two aspects that must be respected: the interests of the child and diversity. Children learn much more easily when information is transmitted to them in a way that interests them. Nowadays, computers play a very important role in the lives of our young people and they master them well from preschool onwards. We therefore have every interest in using it to make them work on more difficult concepts without having to argue with them.
The computer is therefore an indispensable, interesting and motivating tool for academic success for various reasons:
- The computer world, especially software, is a structured world.
- The computer uses several senses – colours, images, sound environment, use of the mouse and keyboard – which is very conducive to learning.
- The computer promotes autonomy. The child can thus move forward, backward, listen again to the instructions given to him/her. He becomes an actor in his own learning.
- It also offers the advantage of immediate correction, which reinforces autonomy.
- The computer, through visual stimulation, promotes better attention span.
- The exercises are often very repetitive, which stimulates his memory.
- The status of the error is no longer the same. The child can make mistakes, allow himself to try without risk.
- Using the computer allows the child to focus on learning without having to worry about other difficulties. For example, a person for whom calligraphy is a nightmare does not have to worry about it when he types his vocabulary words to learn them; he only focuses on the spelling of the word. Learning is targeted, direct.
- With the computer, the child forgets that he is learning, which allows him to overcome his difficulties.
- In many software programs, the child has a benchmark of his or her latest results and can therefore try to do better.
- The computer thus becomes an effective intermediary for the transmission of knowledge and skills between parent and child.
The Junior Visual Dictionary – With one click, this bilingual dictionary allows you to associate a word with an image. Young people will enjoy exploring its 22 themes, 12,000 words and 2,000 illustrations carefully chosen according to their tastes. The software also allows users to enrich their vocabulary and even listen to pronunciation in both English and French. It also offers many games and interactive exercises.
Table program – This software allows you to learn addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division tables. The tables are presented in order or in disorder and the different exercises proposed, including the filling exercises, can be timed or not. It is possible to set the options for each user, print the exercises, see the results for each user of the software as well as the average results of all users for the different exercises.
Madame Mo – This interactive CD-ROM contains ten edutainment games for children aged 6 to 9. Presented in increasing order of difficulty, the proposed activities practice four main reading and writing skills: phonological processing, working memory, visual memory and visual discrimination. In each game, fun scenarios, animations and various sound effects help to keep children interested.
Mia lecture – This CD-ROM provides French language learning activities in the form of a game that involves observation, logic and reflection. There are four levels of difficulty to work on concepts such as word recognition, spelling, vocabulary, basic reading, understanding instructions, grammar, conjugation, rhymes and phonetics.
Smart Rabbit – In order for the stars to regain their place in the sky, Luciola needs the help of Smart Rabbit, Sam the Lion and their faithful friend Bouquine. The acquisition of five Brilliant Stars will solve the problem. To achieve this, the student must travel through different parts of the Toutbrille country and meet several challenges. The content of the activities leads the preschool student to familiarize himself with different learning areas such as languages, mathematics and the arts.
Metafo – With this educational software, children aged four to eight years old are invited to visit four planets that each contain four to six activities that target phonological awareness development. Each of the 20 activities allows for different sound manipulations such as segmentation, fusion, inversion and comparison. Activities carried out using invented words make it possible to free oneself from meaning and pay attention only to the phonemes that make up these nonwords. Two levels of difficulty are available for each activity.
It is well understood that the computer makes learning very entertaining, both for the child and the educator. You will find pleasure in accompanying your child in the acquisition of knowledge and who knows, you may find in it notions and explanations that you have forgotten over time!
Have a good time!