If you are wondering what digital printing is, we can tell you that it is a process of direct digital printing (with laser or ink) of a type of digital file to any material: paper, vinyl, fabrics, among others. In addition, it is one of the most used printing systems in the graphic arts world due to its versatility.
Digital printing is generally offered by companies in a professional way, being very advantageous for people who wish to print a low volume project.
In addition, turnaround times are very short and you will not have to wait for the ink to dry as with other types of printing.
Digital printing has been increasing in popularity over the years, appearing on the market with very new and powerful equipment to meet all the needs and demands of people in this aspect.
One of the main reasons for the increase in popularity of this type of printing and why it is widely used today, is due to the optimal customization of printing, covering more aspects and meeting all requirements.
Currently, digital printing can be used to meet different objectives and not only for printing office documents, but also for images, sublimation, printing on fabrics and more.
Through our website Hispaprint, you can learn in depth about the definition of digital printing, types, and the advantages and disadvantages of digital printing and other details of interest.
Remember that we are an online digital printing company with more than 30 years of experience in this sector, we are here to serve you!
What is digital printing?
To define digital printing in a more specific way, we can comment that it is a process used to directly transfer texts and images stored in the computer and take everything to a printed format on paper, fabric or any other element.
The printers used for this purpose, work through inkjet or laser, being a great advance due to the ease and quality obtained when printing.
Advantages of digital printing
There are several advantages of digital printing and we will discuss some of them below.
- It is a very flexible printing, since you can print only the units you need (few or many).
- This printing is one of the fastest options available, since it offers a short delivery time of the final product.
- It offers a high degree of customization, so you can vary the print, the material and the design very easily and without problems.
- It has an almost infinite variety, so you can print almost anything you want.
- It does not have color limits when printing, as is the case with other techniques.
- There is no pre-printing stage in this method.
- One of its greatest advantages is the high quality of printing, achieving high resolution finishes and details.
- You will save costs and printing time.
- The configuration requirements are minimal, allowing you to vary the printing process without being an expert.
- It is a very cost-effective method for short print runs.
Disadvantages of digital printing
Now we will tell you about the advantages of digital printing:
- It is a somewhat expensive process when it comes to high volume prints.
- It does not support metallic ink colors.
- The ink color may fade faster than other methods.
- You must check the printer from time to time and always keep them updated, so that they perform all functions correctly.
Types of digital printing
There are different types of digital printing, therefore, we will detail what they are based on and how they differ from each other:
Small format printing
It is one of the most used nowadays, since it is very cost-effective and has a very efficient printing time.
It is the best option to choose when you need flexibility or make constant changes in the design, the disadvantage is that it is not available in the 50 x 70 cm format.
Large format printing
Large format digital printing is ideal for large projects, which need a good marketing campaign. It covers a size from 45,72 cm (18 inches) up to 304,8 cm (120 inches).
Thanks to the use of this format you will have many printing possibilities: plans, banners, posters, wallpapers and more.
There are 2 types of equipment that can perform large format digital printing, and they are roll printers and flatbed printers.
It is based on inkjet printing, being able to print a text or image on paper or plastic.
These printers operate in a quite complex way, since they send jets of ink on the material to get the real design you are looking for.
Its design is used to print a digital image by means of a laser, moving back and forth to generate static electricity and then releasing the ink to reproduce the image you want to print.
It is one of the most expensive types of printing that exist, since it is designed for high volume and immediate printing.
Despite being a very fast type of digital printing, it will not lose its printing quality, so it is highly recommended despite its costs.
It works by means of heat transfer to apply the image to the desired material. It is an ideal printing technique for fabric, plastic and synthetic materials.
It is used by computer printers and multifunctional printers. The cartridges generate enough heat to fuse with the ink and put the print on the paper.
Digital UV printing
It uses ink for printing and can be done on virtually any material: plastic, wood, metal, among others.
The advantage of this type of digital printing is the instantaneous drying capacity, since it uses ultraviolet light.
This digital printing is used in small volumes, has no color limits and has a high printing quality.